For many years, direct contact exercise bikes had dominated the market. Anyone who needed a high-performance exercise bike would prefer the direct contact resistance. Today things have changed. The direct contact bikes have lost their position to the Magnetic resistance bikes.
Magnetic resistance is a solution to the problems associated with the direct contact resistance.
So, how do bikes with magnetic resistance operate? Let’s find out.
Bikes which operate with magnetic resistance generate the resistance through a series of steps. The resistance system in these bikes utilizes the flywheel and two powerful magnets. In this case, the flywheel acts as a magnetic conductor.
As one cycles, the flywheels continues to rotate. The flywheel interferes with the magnetic field between the two magnets. The resulting attraction of the flywheel brings about a resistance force.
The magnets do not touch the flywheel. The resistance opposes riding efforts. You need to use more force. You can increase the resistance level through the knob or buttons suited on the console of a given bike.
Pros and cons of Magnetic Resistance
Friction resistance comes with many limitations. The magnetic resistance aims at eliminating all the drawbacks in the friction resistance. Exercise bikes with magnetic resistance have a significant competitive advantage to those with the direct impact resistance.
- Quiet and smooth operation:Unlike the direct contact resistance, magnetic resistance operates well. No parts come into contact to create the resistance. With a bike that utilizes magnetic resistance, you will enjoy your workouts. The environment is always quiet.
You can thus catch a movie or read a magazine while working out. Again, you can use the bike in residential areas with noise restrictions.
Mothers with young children will find bikes with magnetic resistance more convenient and reliable. They offer no disturbance to your baby as he/she takes a nap.
- Marked levels:Friction resistance bikes don’t offer marked resistance levels. You are to estimate your preferred resistance level through the knob. On markings are there to guide you.
Also, after turning the knob, the resistance remains constant throughout the workout. Cycling at high RPM will not increase the resistance in any way. You have to twist the knob to alter the resistance.
Magnetic resistance bikes are completely different. Levels of resistance come predetermined by the manufacturer. There are indications on the console on the resistance levels. You are free to set your preferred resistance through the buttons on the console.
Also, the magnetic resistance changes with the cycling speed. The higher the bike speed, the greater the resistance. This is due to increased interference with the magnetic field by the fast-rotating flywheel.
- Less maintenance:Friction resistance bikes need regular replacement of pads. Lubrication and dusting are also necessary due to wear and tear of the moving parts in contact. The maintenance cost of the friction resistance bikes is high.
Magnetic resistance is completely different. No parts come into contact. No wear and tear of the bike’s components occur. This means that neither dusting nor regular lubrication is necessary.
You only need minimal maintenance with the bikes magnetic resistance exercise bikes. The only maintenance may be tightening of wires and screws. This maintenance should come after some few years of regular workouts.
- Hard to overcome:One can configure the magnetic resistance to extreme levels. It can stop the entire flywheel from the slightest movement. The resistance created through magnetism is usually more than enough for the workouts. It could take you forever to get used to the resistance generated through magnetism. You keep on improving your fitness to high levels. The workouts also become attractive with the tough challenge.
- Expensive:Exercise bikes that use magnetic resistance are more costly than those with friction resistance. Magnetic resistance is quite costly to generate. The resulting exercise bike is expensive. But, the benefits that come with magnetic resistance bikes are worth the investment.
Best Selling Magnetic Exercise Bikes USA 2019